How to Build or Update Workflow in Jira?
Are you starting with the Jira software for the first time? Then, facing an issue to manage your workflows can be easily justified. Going through our 3 minutes guide on how to build and manage workflow on Jira is going to help you for sure.
What is Work Flow in Jira
A workflow in Jira is a map that states the status and transitions that a complete project goes through. All the projects we work on goes through the status of To do> In Progress and Done.
However, if your team works through a more complicated path, then Jira Core is the solution you have. With Jira, you can customize the whole process and come up with your own. Here’s a diagram for the process to help your understanding:
Here in this image, we have shown the Workflow of creating a website.
How to Build the Workflow?
Follow the steps below to create a workflow for your new project.
- Find the Issues and Workflows from Jira settings.
- Add a new Workflow and click on add status to create a new step.
- Add Transitions using the option present in Jira or drag your pointer from one status to another.
- Save your work using Publish Draft option
Now if you want to use the Workflow for your project follow the steps further
- Click on Projects in Jira and select the project that you need from the list.
- Click on Project settings from the sidebar and go to Workflows
- Click on the option Add Workflow and then select Add Existing with which you can select the workflow that you had created.
- Now choose an issue for the Workflow and then finish.
Things You Need to Maintain to Create a Useful Workflow in Jira
To ensure that you are making full use of the software, you need to take care of a few essential things
- It is necessary for an admin to engage in open dialog with stakeholders and create discussions. This helps to maintain a high workflow from the get go.
- It is necessary to prepare a questionnaire as an admin and to keep knowledge about transitions, approvals and dependencies to come up with the best Jira Workflows for projects.
- Workflows need to be kept concise and straightforward.
- Make sure you create a proper Workflow project template for your team. This helps to make it authoritative and easy to remember for the team.
On Jira, you can modify your project’s Workflow anytime. Here’s how?
Hot to Update a Project’s Workflow on Jira?
It requires a few simple steps to update or modify your project workflow such as:
- Go to Project on Jira and choose the kind of project you need from the list.
- Go to Project settings in the sidebar. Select Workflows option and click on edit.
- To add a new step to the Workflow, select Add Status. To add transition, select Add transition.
- Select Publish Draft to save your changes and proceed.
So, this is it guys! If you need further help with Jira Workflow management contact Jira Core Support.